Shirley's way to fun*raise £2600.00 for Mind the mental health charity!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Aung San Suu Kyi is awarded 'Freedom' .. if only

Well well, the Freedom of the City event has finally happened, the past three months my superb boss, Council colleagues and I have put many, many hours into organising this civic event where Edinburgh could award their highest honour possible to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi! It has been an fantastic experience and the day when she is freed will hopefully come a bit sooner thanks to all the international press coverage this has given Burma.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4105274.stm
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1723822,00.html
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=662402005
I met Daw Suu's son and wife, a few Lords and Ladies, exiled refugees from Burma who had to leave as their name was on the blacklist, worked next to directors of large organisations such as Amnesty UK / Scotland, and learnt a lot about myself with regards to Zimbabwe, so many people are in the same situation! Daw Suu is a shining light for the democratic world!

Back to fundraising .... I had a very positive responce from The Raj Restaurant where celebrity chef Tommy Miah makes his famous curry! http://www.despardes.com/newsmakers/tommy-miah-feb24.htm On 2 September we shall be having a buffet for 100 people at the Raj, hmmm, theme might be turbans and saris, so much to think of. Flatmate Marc has agreed to help design the tickets for me and those should go to print next week, £20 a head ... see you there!

To my blonde and tanned work-mate, thanks for the money, and thanks for making work a bit more interesting everyday, and thanks for the toast you make in the mornings!

Cheers Sandra for your kind donation! You are an angel and an inspiration doing all the work you do, Africa is a better place thanks to you! Hope to visit you in the States .. one day soon!

I have started approaching bigger companies about this, as I'm doing it all by myself I'm kinda going on trial and error here, hopefully they will recognise my passion for the cause.

I put an advert on the Edinburgh Gumtree website, and result! Over the next few months I will be helping a woman pack up and move flats whilst she donates £6ph to Mind for my assistance. Her and I have been emailing to get to know a bit about each other and it sounds like we have a lot in common, will find out for definite on Thursday during my first shift.

I used to think spare time was a 'must', now I realise how much of a luxury it really is! Saying that, today I did spend my lunch break having a colleague give me a guitar lesson, when anyone asks where I learnt to play the answer will be in a random office cubicle in Edinburgh. Anyone want to place pledges on when I will finally be able to perform my first song???

£333.05, and lots more in the pipeline!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home