Shirley's way to fun*raise £2600.00 for Mind the mental health charity!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Lost in translation

Back in Delhi now after a night in my favourite place so far - the holy city of Rishekesh and 2 nights in the buzzing city of Haridwar. In Rishekesh I got my first opportunity to kick back and relax, had an hour long aryurvedic body massage, lay on the white sandy banks of the Ganga river talking to a bunch of nursery school kids, they were the cutest bunch of kids I've ever met. Then enjoyed an afternoon at the local chai (tea) stand chatting to the locals about yoga and the state of mind that accompanies it.



Haridwar was busy! Having a nasty cold, I didnt feel like being in the centre of it all .. but there was no escaping! Yesterday morning I took a walk up to the local temple, I was impressed with the Indians hospitality, I had many different walking partners who all told me their life story, bought me a chai, asked for a photo then said best wishes, it was one of my most pleasant experiences!
Yesterday evening I went down to the daily festival of floating candles and flowers down the Ganga river which was truly moving, the chanting and dedication to their religion is inspiring!
After relaxing and reading in my room for a while I heard a brass band constanly passing up and down the main street, when I finally went down to see what was happening I ended up dancing on the streets and attending a wedding. As soon as I realised, being white and foreign, I was getting more attention than the bride I made a quick exit!

This evening the driver took me to meet his family and have dinner with them, it was brilliant to see how elated they were to see each other after 6 nights of separation! The parents with their 2 young sons live in one small room with a table that serves as a bed too. Rekish said his home might be small but in his heart it's huge!

Tomorrow I'm doing a loooooong train journey to the land of white sand, clear blue water, cheap seafood and feni .. local alcohol!

I have journeyed with Ewan MacGreggor and Charley Boorman so far .. reading Long Way Round. It was been great reading this book as I have experienced similar things as they did :-) travelling certainly does give you the chance to free your mind and live for the very moment!

Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32697644@N00/sets/1530855/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome shirlz
what a blast
so many different experiences
the dude abides

1:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home