Shirley's way to fun*raise £2600.00 for Mind the mental health charity!

Sunday, September 04, 2005

We made curry history

WOOOOW! What a week, what a night! During the run up to Friday I was a ball of energy unable to keep still, if I wasn't doing something then I would be thinking of what I could do to make Friday an Outstanding evening! As well as having a great time and raising money, I wanted people to walk away feeling inspired to do something that they have never done before, no matter how big or small, just something that will make them feel good! One way of attempting that was to have a small piece of paper with a different quotation at each place setting such as ...

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be
happy, practice compassion.” The Dalai Lama

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in
anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Buddha
The "Enlightened One"

And secondly I printed out my blog, put a photo and welcome page at the front and left copies on the tables so people could read more about who and what they are supporting.

I went along to the restaurant quite early to put the finishing touches on, and at the same time I was playing some Indian pop tunes which got the waiters on my side immediately. I was given a complimentary drink then they asked me to turn the music up so they could enjoy 'the atmosphere'. (Apologies to the customers downstairs who found the service unusually slow!??!)

Slowly people started arriving and soon it was full. A massive thanks to Annalee, Duncan, Joanne and Alex for coming dressed for the theme, I would have been the only one otherwise. You all looked fantastic! The boys had lost the waistcoats by the time this photo was taken ..

Also a huge thank-you to Paul who made a grand effort to come along, it means so much to me, I hope the delicious curry made it worth it!

To everyone who attended, words can't say how special every single one of you made it, you supported the cause with so much enthusiasm, just that night will make signing up to this fundraising worth it! (please don't tell my camel I ever said that though!)

Magic Marc, the co-organiser/host and photographer, I owe you. I know there were moments last week when you might have wished you didn't know me, but without you this event wouldn't have been half as good as it was (for the fact that half the people wouldn't have been there), and your charisma and endless encouragement is a blessing! Thank you!

The atmosphere was very relaxed, every table was set for 10 people which made it extrmely social, it was a help-yourself buffet, Sean was kept busy all night doing amazing caricatures. The raffle was drawn, the dinner at Mussel Inn went to Shazza, and the weekend away to Mark Smith who's from my gym.

To Sean the caricaturist, Thank you for your wonderful work and donation! Just by being there you ensured that there was something for everyone!

For a slideshow of the photos taken that night, please check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/32697644@N00/sets/880736/

I'm off to count up how much we raised and will post the total soon! Then it's lunchtime at the Indian Mela festival!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home