Shirley's way to fun*raise £2600.00 for Mind the mental health charity!

Friday, September 16, 2005

A Reflective Moment ..

Today has been great!

It started off with me picking up a mystery parcel at the post office which turned out to be a crate of wine, who can complain about that!

It was a surreal day finishing off at the Council, whilst I felt an empty sadness about not working with the External Relations team anymore, I also felt a sense of euphoria as it's the official start of my big adventure! For the past three and a half years I have literally worked myself to the bone, starting over in different cities, dealing with the home-office and embassies in the hope of being granted life-changing visas, worrying about family in Zimbabwe, all whilst trying to gain some form of security without letting it become a main focus. It has been an uphill struggle yet I wouldn't want it any other way as it truly has taught me so much about life, people and myself.
For the first time since leaving Zimbabwe I honestly feel now that it's my turn to have some fun!
I would not have got this far if it wasn't for some heart-warmingly endearing characters whom I've had the pleasure of knowing! I believe you ALL realise who you are ;o)

I'm now in contact with my first fellow fundraiser! Brian from England who is setting high standards for the rest of the travellers. Him and I seem to have much in common, especially when it comes to philosophy on life which I'm positive will provide great chat!

Brian commented on my 23 years of age and the self-confidence I must possess to be doing all of this. I thought hard about it as I am actually rather quiet-spoken and on the odd occassion shy. However, I realise in my old age, that I am able to make big decisions fully based on my own thoughts and I'm very aware that sometimes it won't the be the right choice - yet I'm not scared to make a mistake. It also helps to .. always look on the Bright side of life (whistle)! .. who said I was grown-up???

Anyhoo, it's Friday night and if I write more deep and philosophical stuff you will get bored!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home