Shirley's way to fun*raise £2600.00 for Mind the mental health charity!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

And so it is ..

Just like you said it would be!!!!

I'm back after a brilliant weekend in Dublin, Derry and inbetween. You just can't help liking the Irish people ... I think I will live there one day just for the accent! When travelling I like to feel as though I've have actually gone the distance to visit a foreign land rather than just hop on and off minute long flights, so due to flying into Glasgow Prestwick yesterday I managed to go in a car, a tram, a bus, aeroplane, train and taxi. All that was left to do would have been a boat, bicycle and space-ship!

Thinking about time-travel, its 23days until London and 26 days until I fly forward in time to India, I am a little nervous but that's all natural. I'm also extremely excited and keep being hit by waves of smiles! Whilst in Dublin i bought myself a 'worry stone' for the India trip .. just to ensure I can keep that 'no worries' attitude of mine.

Last week Dan, the friend I stayed with in Ireland, texted me saying that he was going to a fundraising quiz organised by his friends. Yesterday morning I discovered on the third page of the Irish metro was a big article about what these 3 people are doing - cycling from Dublin to Cape Town to fundraise 50 000euro and raise awareness of HIV in Africa. Wow, absolutely fantastic, not only will it bring in some money, but the people they will meet in Africa will be so pleased to know someone cares! I have probably pestered you for your yearly charity budget, but if you have a few pennies left over pleasssse visit http://www.oxfamireland.org/html/supportus/cycle_africa.htm


Fundraising is going well, thanks to everyone who is coming along to the Diwali dinner and bringing their friends too! This week I'm going to organise a raffle for that evening, not quite as glamorous as the last lot of prizes but so far it will include a few bottles of wine and a free month membership at the stylish and relaxing Holmes place gym.

I am back into full swing with my mental health job and after having a wee break from it I fully appreciate it again! Being given the chance to work with people and their families to provide them with a lifestyle which they Want is such a moving experience, and I can't believe they pay me for it too!

This year I have put a lot of time into reading up on Eastern religions and also swapped my GP for a Chinese herbalist (and her translator), so now going to India and having the chance to be part of the local culture (and that means travelling on really cheap trains and eating all tradition food - no 5* hotels this time round!) is the opportunity of a lifetime for me!

I hope that through doing this challenge I have inspired each and everyone of you in some small way! If so, then this truly has been a success! Maybe it would be giving away your daily bus tickets after you've done the last trip of the day, or even to do something that you've always wanted to do and haven't got around to it yet, who knows - maybe next year you will be having a salsa fundraising night before heading off to trek Peru! Life is an adventure .. live it. Yeah, so that's that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home